Pages

Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Studio. I has one.

LOLstudio

Heh. Check this out:

Studio Duck

Welcome to Studio Duck.

I signed the papers this morning, thanks to Byrd, who gave me a lift to the studio and back. While we were waiting for stuff to happen, we went into the space and both oohed and aahed for a while.

I've been loath to write about this until the line had been signed, just in case something went wrong. But nothing went wrong, it's all mine for three solid years, at the end of which I'll be able to apply for another three years (the maximum any residency goes for is six years). Woot!

These studios are purpose-built by the ACT Government, and the rent is fantastically cheap, for the express purpose of helping artisans get on their feet, and hopefully letting them get to the point of being able to sustain a commercial rent when the residency expires. Unfortunately Canberra has no cheap areas, no derelict warehouses in proto-cool areas that can be developed as artist spaces, so this complex is it, and artists quite often find themselves floundering at the end of their term. So you can understand how much these studios, based in Dickson, are appreciated. There is another batch in Mitchell that are larger and more industrial (for sculptors and woodies etc), and that's it, I think 40 spaces in all. It would be great to have more of them, especially in South Canberra. The waiting list, as you can imagine, is long, and the tenants like to stay as long as they can.

Anyhoo, aren't I lucky! It's a great space, 48 square metres to play with (we worked out that this is the same size as the living/kitchen/dining area of my house), with high ceilings, good light, gas heating, lots of powerpoints, a sink, three-phase power, and public liability insurance.

Unfortunately, the timing is such that I won't be able to use it until mid-January, so I've given the keys to Byrd and let him have a place to make some big (portable) work for a while. He'll do a few things for me in return like take the boards off the window (the last tenant had a few window breaks, but I'd like to chance it for the nice breeze and light I'll get) and maybe put a little tattoo on the wall for me as a souvenir of his time there.

I've taken photos and made a map, so now it's time to measure all my gear and make a plan, taking into account the way I work and the way I'll move around the room. In January I still won't be lifting things, so I'll initially just move my binding stuff in there and get going with the Dobson edition, and then get the bigger stuff in once I can clean it up a bit before the removalists get involved. My poor press and type are filthy from being in the garage for years, and my big standing press is a touch rusty.

Golly, I'm excited. And tired. That was the most walking I've done yet. Time for a nanna nap... and a deep breath!

19 comments:

worldpeace and a speedboat said...

WOOHOO!

lucky you :-)

Alexis, Baron von Harlot said...

Ooh la la!

Poppy Letterpress said...

How excitement indeed! Oh, you're going to love it there. You'll have creativity oozing out your pores. Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help you move in when January comes. I can't lift stuff, but I'm sure there's some way I can be helpful. And start planning that studio warming! I expect to see some beautifully printed invites ;)

genevieve said...

Oh fabulous!!

fifi said...

oh, I can lift heavy stuff!!!


Best I head your way one of these days...


what a wonderful wonderful studio!

Anonymous said...

Iz jealouz.

brazen's crafts said...

are you over behind the pool? wondering if you're next to my work ;)

brazen's crafts said...

just saw your link and yes, you are about 20m away from me :) (though i have never been there *blush*

Penthe said...

Looks damn fine. Happy independent creating to you.

MTB Girl said...

Hey - I live across the road (literally). You'll have to drop by for tea once you're moved in :)

Anonymous said...

V. Cool.

Michelle said...

Congratulations on getting your own studio! I can tell how excited you are, just reading your post.

Ampersand Duck said...

MTB and Brazen's Crafts: Yup, very close! See below...

Everyone: hooray! I'm planning on having a big studio opening once I get all the gear in, so keep in touch.

Anonymous said...

Oh WOW!! You've actually got it signed sealed and delivered. Woot!

It's a shame that the ACT government didn't wack in a few more artists's 'pods' in the vacant schools southside...

Hah! Word verification is 'blesses'. Universe saying something methinks!

cristy said...

Oh my. It is incredible! How exciting! Congrats again.

Dorian said...

spacious!

Anonymous said...

So happy for you. Glad you are coming along and moving even if it is tiny steps for now. My letter to bumblebee is on it way. I have been away at Jan,s for keeley's dancing concert had a great time. Keep on keeping on as the saying goes and you will be working away in your new place. cheersxxx West Aussie

MTB Girl said...

Yay for openings! I'm across the road at 105 and haven't yet been to an opening!

chosha said...

Wow, what a great space! Enjoy putting it together as you want it.