Pages

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

spellcheckers aren't brilliant, but they aviod mangy mistakes

It's a wonderful week for typos, folks.

-- I love Laura's job advertisement post. Mangy proofreader.

-- the San Francisco Gate published the following today: Britney Spears filed for divorce Tuesday from Kevin Federline, officials said.

Divorce Tuesday! Let's add it to the weekly calendar of things to do with your blogs, like Mogblog Friday and Nude Portrait Thursday. She's such a creative lass. I'm glad she's seen the light about that horrid man.

-- I went to get a new parking permitty thingo at the university today and saw that they still haven't replaced this lovely sign (I've lost track of how long it's been up)



Even a simple spellchecker would have picked up that one.

-- and finally, all the arts grants were listed today in the Canberra Times and I was wrongfully cited as having been granted $20,000! I got a lot of admiring backpats from people this morning until one mentioned the amount and I realised what had happened. I actually got $7,210, which is sufficient for my needs, and I rang the Arts Editor of the CT to tell her so. Apparently they totally scrubbed out the name of the poor filmmaker fellow who did get $20,000 (his name is next in the alphabet from mine) and my amount got wiped as well. I repeat, mangy proofreaders!

8 comments:

Ben.H said...

I didn't pay attention to anything you've written there, I'm just mesmerised by the imperative to "Log onto ANUBIS (through ISIS or HORUS". Is this from some 1970s sci-fi show, or has your IT support been outsourced to Egypt?

Ampersand Duck said...

Yeah, I reckon someone in the IT dept has an Egyptian fetish ;)

Mummy/Crit said...

Yes, it took me some minutes of wonderment too, but I finally saw it...(some editor I'd make)

comicstriphero said...

Can I also get in a swipe at the unnecessary and inconsistent capitalisation?

For instance, "Payment Options include BPAY" - if 'Options' gets a capital, why doesn't 'include'?!

And does is anyone else getting a giggle out of "Horus"? Or should I get my street-walking mind out of the gutter?

Tim said...

If it makes you feel any better, comicstriphero, I laughed at Anubis. It's half rude but all funny.

Ampersand Duck said...

Heh, no, I'm right there sniggering with you. I snigger at the sight of ANU Security people.

Mummy/Crit said...

Or better yet, the ANU Supercomputer Facility. A friend of mine who works there has the line "Anuses A through E were deemed failures"....rumour has it that they will be changing their name shortly.

FXH said...

Annus Horribilis?