Pages

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Mal content

Did any of you see Mal Webb on Spicks & Specks a few weeks ago? I haven't yet, but I've recorded it and I mean to catch up when I have a quiet moment.

If you've never seen Mal before, and you have the bandwidth, watch this Youtube video. It's longish, but entertaining. I always enjoy this part of his act, when he gets an audience member to make noises into his sampler and then he improvises to them. This clip isn't his funkiest, but it's still pretty good. He is highly intelligent (lots of brains in a head shaped like Africa), so his lyrics are always entertaining and sometimes thought-provoking, and uber-talented (the sounds he can make are often incredible), and the thing that really doesn't come out in this clip is that he's also a great dancer, and I love watching him groove around the stage. He also performs with other outfits, one of which is Totally Gourdgeous, a group who makes and plays instruments crafted from gourds. I know that sounds weird, but it works. He often performs at the National Science Festival, and I've caught him at both the National Folk Festival and the Woodford Folk Festival.



If you like what you see, and you're local, he's playing this Sunday night at the Merry Muse Folk Club at the Polish Australian White Eagle Club (cnr David St and MacCaughey St, Turner). He's on at 6:30pm (he's very kid-friendly, and they've moved him forward from top billing so that kiddies can enjoy him), followed by One Night Jam x2/3 (8pm), followed by Ray's Train til later. Door cost is $15/$12 and children freeeeeeeee!

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. I'm going to take Bumblebee if I can.

2 comments:

Mummy/Crit said...

Well, that was 7 mins of pure Mal pleasure! Thank you. I saw him on Spicks and Specks (great) and I've also been watching dvds of John Safran's Music Jamboree where Mal sings 'eagle rock' woith Ross Wilson to demonstrate the instruments of Africa.

Doorbitch sez 'cuseuont' which I find faintly disturbing.

worldpeace and a speedboat said...

yes, I saw him on S&S and was really impressed. he's so cool!