Pages

Sunday, November 05, 2006

cashed up and ready to work!

ready to work

I've been walking around in a bit of a daze this weekend. On Friday night we got home from late-night-shopping and I opened my mail to find that the small arts grant I'd applied for has been granted to me. Hooray!

It's not a lot of money, but it's enough to get my dream project off and running. Knowing that the ACT Arts Funding pool is quite small (but also bearing in mind that we're a relatively small pond!) I only asked for money for the materials to print the actual book pages (paper, polymer plate, wood blocks), not for payment for my time to print them, and not for the materials and time to bind them. That decision seemed to pay off, and now that I've got that far and I'm in the 'system', I should be able to raise the binding money when I need it (fingers crossed).

Blimey. I'm very excited, but also a bit nervous. It's one thing to dangle a dream in front of yourself, and another to make it real. I mean, I have no doubts I CAN make it real, but there's always that fear that the reality won't be as good as the dream. I guess that's why I admire people who get out there and just DO things. It's a leap of faith, and I'm about to take it.

I'm very grateful for the grant, because it will make me, and the people around me, take this idea seriously. I have been trying to get this off the ground for a few years now, but life keeps interfering, with commitments to other people's projects, and lack of money, etc etc. This is partly my fault for not giving my own work priority over other things!

But there's nothing as galvanising as a deadline and I respond very well to them, so I have until December 2007 to produce the pages! Now I can organise my next 13 months around my own work, and my head has started whirling excitedly. It feels very luxurious!

16 comments:

comicstriphero said...

Nicely Nicely! Well done.

Only thing is, could you maybe check your 'dream project' link? Diddunt work for me and I'd really like to read about it.

Ampersand Duck said...

Sorry! Is that better?

The Unadorned said...

It's fortuious to drop by your site when you've something to celebrate. Keep it up.

Sincerely
Nanda
_____________________________
http://books.myvisitindia.com
http://ramblingnanda.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Hooray!

One day I would like to read about how you decided this -- bookmaking, I guess -- was the thing you really wanted to do. (If you haven't written about it already).

cristy said...

Congratulations! That is fabulous news.

I am now looking forward to living the process vicariously through this blog and plenty of photos.

Anonymous said...

How exciting! Congratulations. You deserve it.

Boysenberry said...

Congratulations. It's always good when something you've been hoping for comes to fruition.

Mummy/Crit said...

Well done, that woman! it is very exciting to do your own thing with your own grant.

Anonymous said...

excellent news! Always exciting to hear of someone getting a grant & I'm sure it's well-deserved.

Kerryn Goldsworthy said...

Congratulations, A. Duck, that's excellent news. It's a lovely project.

Unknown said...

What Aussie home does not have that stripe-patterned sheets and pillowcases (either in use as bedding or in the ragbag)?

Destructomeg said...

congrats you!

Anonymous said...

Yay Duckie!!

You is a hero and you are bucking the current family trend for crumbling dreams and other associated problems.

worldpeace and a speedboat said...

WOOHOO!

hope y'don't mind me shouting. very excitement indeed :)

TimT said...

Many, many congratulations!

genevieve said...

Oh that is lovely. I can't believe it will only cost you the smaller amount though (I've read down the page here.)You are a cleversocks.