Pages

Sunday, October 29, 2006

Jolly japes within walking distance

I thought this would be my first weekend without the presence of Dame Mary Gilmore moping through the house, but just as I was about to step out of the house towards a party (within walking distance! no designated driver needed!), I got a phone call asking me to make some last-minute changes. GAH!

I still went to the party-within-walking-distance, and I'm glad I did, because I met one of my favorite Canberra bloggers, comicstriphero and her good ladywife. Hooray! Totally unplanned; I remembered shortly into the festivities that the birthday boy had once mentioned knowing her, and I asked him if she would be there. He got a coy look on his face, by which I surmised that she was already there. I came over all shy (I'm always a bit worried when I meet bloggers, because I feel that I'll be a disappointment in real life -- heh, yes, I'm so sparkling in blogosphere), and apparently so did she, because eventually he got tired of waiting for us to find each other and led me to her. CSH and her friends were certainly a lot of fun. The night was very merry, the booze was plentiful and the pizza was good, even if the freezing cold weather meant that there was only about 10 of us left by 10pm, sitting outside around one of those cafe heaters that look like lampposts. Then I had to turn into a pumpkin because BB needed to get to bed before that elusive hour disappeared into daylight savings, and Mary Gilmore was pacing the corridor of my house.

Nothing beats waking up with a hangover and missing an hour of the day then having to work on lots of eeeny-weeny footnote corrections. Mmm-mm. I think I'll need a hair of the dog this afternoon.

4 comments:

comicstriphero said...

Hair of the dog!? Argh.

Twas a delightful evening with some most fabulous company.

Ampersand Duck said...

Except maybe the fellow that just couldn't make a long story short. He needs an editor :)

comicstriphero said...

Well, that's a very polite way to put it.

Ampersand Duck said...

Yairs, me mam brought me up proper, she did ;)

And I did have a hair of the dog. B & C invited us back the next day to make a dent in the leftovers. It was a small but helpful dent.