Pages

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Celebrity sightings around Canberra

You wouldn't think Canberra would attract movie and music personalities, would you? Well, you think wrong. I saw FOUR today.

KELLY OSBOURNE



I kid you not, I ride past KO on the bike path every day after I drop Bumblebee off at school, usually at about 8.55am. It's all there: the hair, the jaw, the makeup, the clothes, the attitude. If it's not teh real Kelly I advise this girl to join a look-alike agency because she'd make a tidy sum appearing at parties.


LIZ HURLEY



She was walking through a deserted West Civic plaza (Canberra: quiet one day, somnolent the next), tight white jeans, high heels, sunnies and all. I nearly ran over her on my bike. No hunky man, just wannabe vibes.


JOHN GOODMAN



Squeezed behind the wheel of a government ve-hickel, going fast round the corner using one hand on his power steering, yeeas sir-ee bob. If he'd hit me, his chins would have saved him when the airbags failed due to lack of space.



MICHAEL BOOTH

Who? I hear you say?
He's in that Greater Union ad about buying your tickets online to feel like a star... strutting down the line of ticket holders pretending to look cool and giving them some skin. He's also in the recent cinema release, 48 Shades, and frankly he's the best thing in it, playing a tall bearded Queensland nature-film maker. We love Michael in our household. We think he's up and coming, and probably in some circles, already there. But I can't, for the life of me, find a photo of him.

UPDATE: Zoe found me a 48 Shades image, but such a shame about the Greater Union image. Still, I'm sure all you Aussies have been to a GU movie in the last 12 months:


Anyhoo, an MB look-alike (in his Greater Union incarnation) was standing next to me at the traffic lights in Civic (see? Civic! City of Wonder, the only city centre that needs a sign telling you you're there). Slicked back slightly long hair, aviator sunnies, dorky face, polo shirt, strut. Actually, I'm sure it wasn't MB, because this guy was really short, which made it all worse (MB is actually v. tall). I wanted to snigger, but thought I might overdo it, since I was listening to the radio through headphones at the time and wasn't sure of my personal volume level.

Gosh riding a bike is fun. You never know what or who you'll see in your neighbourhood. Sometimes I even see Zoe, who is our glammest local celebrity. Oh, and Teej is a fun spot, too, driving side by side in our cars.

7 comments:

Web said...

Hey Ampersand,

It sounds like the bike route you ride should be called the Celebrity Trail.

Respectfully,
Larry Lagarde
World-Class-Bike-Trails.blogspot.com
Urging bicycling for recreation, commuting, health and a better future.

Unknown said...

Pardon me if I appear thick but I am tired, under-caffeinated etc. etc. but why would John Goodman be driving a govt vehicle?

Zoe said...

Must try harder, Duck!

(bearded, but not the best one - but you had to scroll down too far here (to "The Chocolate Box"))

</showing off google mastery>

Zoe said...

Oh, and "glammest". Heh.

Ampersand Duck said...

Ron
no idea, but he was driving it hard, on taxpayers' money.

Teej Mahal said...

I love it when I spot your quirky ass car! It stands out a mile away.

Unfortunately, driving a nondescript white sedan, you don't tend to notice me until I'm thumping the horn and waving my arms out the window and yelling "HEEEEYYY DUCKIEEEEEEE!!!"

Which frankly makes me look like a complete nutter.

worldpeace and a speedboat said...

wow... Canberra's got it ALL hasn't it, Ducky?

;)


(actually, I love the thought of a tough Little Miss Osbourne standing at a bus stop, and John Goodman in his O Brother Where Art Thou role swinging in behind the wheel...)