Pages

Monday, October 11, 2004

what goes around...

The One I Love has sunken deep into the realms of despair, thanks to recent events. Funnily enough, this makes me progressively more determined to keep my mind on things less annoying. I tend to get cheerier as people I love sink lower, which is a lucky habit that has quite often kept me away from suicide (mind you, it often drives them crazy).

Today I focused on enjoying things that politics can't touch, like the sunshine on my face as I rode my bike along the glorious bike paths of inner-North Canberra, even though I was for much of it stuck behind someone who really shouldn't have been wearing lycra (especially black lycra with white undies underneath). Birds, flowers, light breeze, sunshine and trees. It really is the most beautiful city.

And then! I work at the art school, and had an opportunity to drive their crappy white van around town on some errands. I turned on the ignition, crunched the gears into reverse, rolled down the window, and turned on the radio. Some shite radio station came on, playing all the worst of the 70s and 80s, but it was exactly the right time and place. Ah, the mindless bliss of revving an empty van around endless roundabouts in the sunshine, crooning to something you'd never listen to in your right mind. Talk about therapeutic.

1 comment:

Zoe said...

You know, I can never hear Nirvana's "Heart Shaped Box" without thinking of you?