Pages

Monday, October 25, 2004

Setting break

Taking a short break from setting type, and since I don't drink coffee nor smoke the evil weed, thought I'd share a couple of the things told to me over the years by salty old type-dogs, things that endear me to playing with dirty letters:

-- only tighten the quoins with the key until your knuckles spread slightly, not until they whiten.
-- adding black to a colour saddens the colour.

These are things of no relevance to a computer. In fact, they probably mean very little to most people. But they resonate for me, and of all the things I forget and remember on a daily basis (and believe me, there's a lot of the former), these two snippets have stuck with me, along with anything played on Countdown between 1980 and 1982.

I'm sure there's more pearls of wisdom stuck in my head somewhere, and they may flounder to the surface sometime, but for now: that'll do, pig, that'll do.

No comments: