Pages

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Take a walk in my shoes




Thanks to the magic of seeing Lorraine Crescent in action, I'm giving you a sample of what I've been listening to on my shuffle. Some of my fav songs aren't available, sadly (like Eleni Mandell's 'Taking you out', which is highly recommended for any women who (a) like Hothead Paisan or (b) have the shits with men in general), but this is a pretty good cross-section.

[For anyone interested, the Billy Joel song is what I'm having played at my funeral. Don't laugh. Or do, I don't care.]

Anyway, I hope you enjoy. I haven't set it to start automatically; I decided to give you the choice of pressing the play button :)





PS: if you decide to make on of these yourself, check the songs carefully before you put them on your playlist. I've had to edit this a couple of times, the first because a couple of songs were running at double time, and once because it was a completely different song, even though it has said the correct artist and track name! Sheesh.

8 comments:

worldpeace and a speedboat said...

ahhhhrrghghgh - is the Weller/Portishead thing a mashup or a collaboration???

I heart Paul Weller. cooarrrr! and he is playing in August, can you believe it? but most of our lot either have different musical tastes, dammit. or still think of him as being all Style Councilly.


btw have been completely sucked into the balloonacy thing. curse you Ducky! ;-)

worldpeace and a speedboat said...

oooh and ps, have you heard The Church's cover of Endless Sea? it's on their CD of covers called Box of Birds. super-duper trippy deliciousness on every track.

Ampersand Duck said...

duly cursed. Haven't seen anything happening yet, but I'm sure things are happening somewhere...

Collaboration. I've got an acoustic version of the song with just Paul, and it's lovely, but I'm hooked on this version, have been for years. It's a real walking beat.

Oooh... love a bit of Churchiness. Thanks for the tip.

In fact, I've realised that I seem to collect covers of things. I might write a post asking for suggestions of good covers, and contribute my own tips.

David Nichols said...

I'll have Endless Sea played at my funeral thanks - only if I O.D. (Dogs in space reference sorry).

David Nichols said...

Hi I came back to say (1) that was me above, I forgot I'd temporarily changed my name (2) I deleted the post you linked to - it was only for the weekend. For some reason.

Ampersand Duck said...

I love Dogs in Space. I think I saw it every night for ten days, back when Electric Shadows has movies for $4. Ahh, those were the days. The soundtrack is another good housecleaning motivator, and you get to sink back in the couch at the end and flake to The Endless Sea.

I don't mind that you deleted the post -- it's still fun to pop over to your site.

David Nichols said...

I didn't care for Dogs in Space the first time I saw it. For various reasons I have seen it about five times since, and it gets better every time. The most recent was a one-off screening at ACMI of the original wide-screen. Since seeing that, even though I do have a copy of the video, it is one film I would not feel comfortable viewing in a chopped-off-at-the-sides version. It was a groundbreaker in so many ways. Did you see Richard Lowenstein's next film, I can't remember its name, but I do know it was based on a book called Came back to show you i could fly... highly recommended for so many reasons. Actually I think it was called Say a little prayer.

Ampersand Duck said...

I love the fact that if you see it in a proper cinema you get so much out of it, as all the dialogue is recorded in layers so that you can hear everything clearly *around* the main actors -- no 'rhubarb, rhubarb'crap. Each time I went to see the movie I'd tune out what I'd already heard and try to catch other snatches of conversation. It was a lot of fun. I've never tried to watch it on the small screen.