Pages

Sunday, February 19, 2006

A day at the Show

Best Beloved was hoping to find the jam judging at the Show a bit like a Maggie and Judy sketch, but we missed out on the actual tasting session and so only saw the results, not the action. Next time we'll try to be there, to see if it is fraught with personality conflicts. As it was, my parent's next-door neighbour swept the field, along with someone else we don't know. Nearly every major section had their names written on it. But not the Novice section! BB won a First for his blackberry jam.
jam
Clever puss!

We spent a whole day at the Show. Here are some highlights:

THE EXHIBITS
caged_art
All locked away so that no-one can run away with the precious things...

phallic_vegies
I don't know what this centre one is meant to be, but I know what it looks like (and when I gave it the file name of "Phallic_vegies" in flickr, it had 1 view within a second!)

toothy
I love this one's toothy grin

vegie heads
The bottom one looks like it belongs with the Valkyries

pumpkins
These don't have faces, but they sure have presence

yellow_granma
This was the expression on my Nana's face whenever I left the house without wearing a bra. I like the inclusion of a cat in the display

Little_people
I wasn't sure if this was a doll or a scarecrow. It was a weird, freaky height

THE SIGNAGE

cow
Helpful signage

BS sign
Threatening signage (At the Dodgem Cars -- we didn't know they came with Eject buttons)

gloves
Confused signage (I'm pretty sure they're gloves)

prize_chook2
Overwhelming signage (she was the tiniest chook)

THE CHOOKS

prize_chook
The winningest chook doing a double-take at all the attention

another cockscomb
Such a handsome comb!

cockscomb
Ditto

beyonce
I call this one 'Beyonce'

THE EVENTS

woodchop2
The woodchop. I watched this for hours, waiting for a foot to come off or an eye to come out. It rocked. In this picture, the chopper on the right is a woman, and she kicked ass

wrestling
The wrestling. IWA Pro-wrestling always makes me laugh. It's so pathetic! My 9-yo loved it, and I guess he's the right age to think it's all real. At one point he was hissing at the 'baddy' and giving him two hands of 'rude finger' when the baddy jumped out of the ring and headed his way. Bumblebee nearly shat himself. I laughed till I wept. No harm done, of course. The guy just leered at the little boys and went back to the ring. But I noticed B was a lot quieter after that! (He's the one in the rainbow t-shirt)

hemlock1
Street performers. This is Bumblebee, finally called out as a volunteer (his dream come true), about to experience a very scary stunt. He was very brave -- a personal milestone!

hemlock2
The secnd, scarier and more dangerous stunt. Bumblebee is at the front of the line to be jumped over. He did great. The guy at the back reminded me a lot of byrd -- same style, same words

THE PEOPLE

maze
The little dog says it all for me

showbag
This is one of the two little boys above. They were dressed in identical army greens, with black caps that read 'SWAT', and carried (with one hand) showbags containing guns bigger than themselves. The other hand held a pistol. I feel like I should report them to the Terrorist hotline

Andy
Local lovelies practicing their cat's-bum mouths

youngwnkr
This young lad kept wandering around with his mates during the wrestling, bellowing 'POOFTERS!' at the wrestlers. What amused me was the fact that he kept his hands firmly in his pockets, wriggling nonstop. I think this photo catches the action beautifully. I'd say he likes the thought of men writhing around together on the ground... what do you think?

AND FINALLY...

combover
I reckon they should have had a comb-over competition. I saw lots of very inventive solutions to baldness during the day. But if they had, this man would have won hands-down. It was immaculate, with the 'fringe' trimmed nicely, and it didn't move in even the stiffest breeze. I'd like to know the secrets of his product use.

No comments: