Pages

Thursday, March 24, 2005

Teeth-grinding

I'm getting a sore jaw from following the Terri Schiavo saga in America. Just give the woman a little dignity and let her die in peace. I find the whole concept of family intervention into a clear decision that the victim has made very scary. SHE. DID. NOT. WANT. TO. LIVE. LIFE. AS. A. VEGETABLE. I bet her parents had all their family pets stuffed. They don't seem to be able to let go. If they don't want her to starve to death, a nice humane dose of morphine wouldn't go astray. Oh, that's right. All this kerfuffle means that she now has to go the long, hard drawn-out way, in the public eye. How sadistic is that? Grrrr....

As a result I have made my partner look me in the eye while I told him to switch me off if I was ever in that position. I have done the same with my son, my parents and many of my friends and colleagues. The most important people to tell next are my in-laws, who are coming up for Easter and are of the Christian persuasion. All good and well, but I want to make sure they are very clear on family plug-pulling permissions.

Don't get me wrong, I have no plans to die in the near future (who does?). But I do want to go with a bit of dignity and a bit of medical responsibility. I couldn't think of anything worse than being hooked up to a machine for over fourteen years [if I could think]and taking up space for someone who had a chance of recovering [if I couldn't think]. So now I'm telling the ether. Switch. off. that. machine. Respect their wishes, whoever they are.

2 comments:

BongHitsForMe said...

You are right.... They should just let that poor women go. Its rather sick to keep her alive in that state.... let her pass... She is better off anyhow...

Anonymous said...

well, it's a tricky one all-round (apart from the repellent unprincipled exploitation of the issue by the Republicans) but we only have the husband's say-so for her wishes in this area (and who would actually get around to expressing such an intention.)

Well, maybe lots now, after this, but few back then.

(touch wood).

Like the smelly rose anecdote too...