Pages

Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Peepshow

I'm sitting here with a happy sleepy cat on my lap, sipping brandy, feeling happy and sleepy myself.

Today was install day, and it went pretty smoothly apart from having to paint the entire gallery space thanks to some lazy patching and non-painting by the show before last. Luckily Megalo has a lovely flotilla of interns who made the dirty work less arduous:



We had to paint the walls and all the plinths, because some of them were borrowed from other places (it's a plinth-heavy show).


Before.


After.

It was very hard to take photographs; all I had was my crappy little digicam and half the gallery lights aren't working (hopefully they will be fixed tomorrow), but here are a few teasers:


This is called After. The photos don't do justice to the detail embedded in the black shape.


The kites became Let Go. The bit down the bottom is a book spine, with the edges of the pages facing outwards. It started as kites escaping from the book, but ended up as a very lovely tree.


Do you know how hard it is to drill holes in coins? This is a nostalgic piece about catalogues and poetry, in a 'traditional' palm-leaf binding.


This is called Me, Like a River. It started life as a flag book, but ended as a tunnel book.

It's not all seriousness. I am including some of my favorite book covers (usually found at the Lifeline book Fair), converted to blank sketchbooks or boxes. It's really hard to think about letting these go:


You can't have this one, it already belongs to Zoe, for services to catering. It comes with a sample of the poetry inside, comparing a naked woman to a lump of bratwurst. Sterling stuff.


I love the Valley-of-the-Dolls-Henry-Jamesian style of this Austen cover. I find her eyes really creepy.


Ah, Zindel. Master of my twelve-yo universe.


And a soupcon of politics, just for the halibut. This one is a clamshell box, lined with some of the illustrations.

I think it's going to be a lovely show, if I may say so myself. I surprised myself today: all my obsessional planning helped a lot. Now I'm starting to think about ways to rest...

8 comments:

Adele said...

Hope your opening is a blast.....wish I could be there.
Love the strange book covers.
Look forward to more photos.
(Granny) Del

Zoe said...

Squee! I vomit like a lady, that's why it's for me, innit?

Ampersand Duck said...

you & me both, darl...

lucy tartan said...

Good old She Vomits! I never noticed the delicate ladylike angle of retch implied by those empty high-heels before.

The woman metamorphing into a tree is very beautiful and surreal.

pk said...

drool. slaver.can't wait.

Mummy/Crit said...

I heard you on the wireless (though i was sitting in my car at the time, so the term may be redundant) and I'm looking forward to seeing your show (and you) tomorrow.

doorbith says "swinked" and I don't know how you get all the good ones.

AMCSviatko said...

Bum.

My mates tell me we can't do the opening AND get to Short and Sweet in time tomorrow night(something about eating and opening food not being real food: philistines!)so I will have to wait to see your exhibition.

Megalo interns pique my interst though...

Jay Dee said...

From what I have seen, your show looks like it is going to be fantastic! Congratulations on all your hard work and wish I could be there to see it in person.