Pages

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

not quite, but

funny pictures of cats with captions

no, not sick, not dying, just spending lots of time in the studio, cleaning and sorting and making.

Yesterday I channelled Annie (my very clean late nana) again and cleaned out my paper drawers so that I could actually store paper in them. Up to now they've been holding all my old art student work, actually the stuff that survived the last cull, but this time I was ruthless (or Annie) and chucked out nearly everything that couldn't be made into a sketchbook cover. I only kept three life drawings and two prints. And now I have a dedicated boxboard drawer, plus one for white paper and one for coloured -- luxury!

Today I'm waiting for the closest thing Canberra has got to a press mechanic to drop by. He said Mon or Tues, and if he doesn't show today I'm going to be sad. For the art school presses we use a guy from Sydney, but i don't think I can either afford to bring him here or wait for his next art school trip. I have leftover wariness from the process of moving the press -- I'd been waiting for a recommended group of removalists to show up & quote for me for weeks, and they just never showed, but then someone else recommended the beautiful Beethoven guys and they were fantastic. I'll just hope that this fellow is more the Beethoven than the other bunch.

I have less than two weeks before I go to the Sturt Winter School, and then I'm flying to Brisbane to see my darling friend Sacha and attend a conference all about books. Then I have another week, and then my open studio, and then I have a month until my first solo show. EEEK! So my entries here will be even more sporadic than usual. Sorry.

Even BB and Bumblebee are getting out of my way -- they're going on a roadtrip next week around the mountain country, visiting caves & snow and beaches and whatever, just the two of them, equipped with audio books and gameboys and no doubt an icecream every day. Sigh. I think I'll book a cottage by the sea for October, when I can relax again.

In other news, Bumblebee has been gorging himself on Michael Jackson videos and songs. I managed to record a three-hour 'Top 50 MJ' fest on VH1, and B is discovering the lovely high highs and absolutely low lows of the MJ oeuvre. We had a big discussion about living out your fantasies on screen, and I think he's starting to really understand the difference between constructed reality and lived reality (unlike MJ!). And we're having great discussions about why certain videos work and others don't. There are some ripper live clips, I can see why his concerts sold out instantly, but FIFTY of them? That's a bunch of vultures in charge, poor bugger.

IMHO, the best MJ album is Off the Wall, but even so, I'm getting pretty sick of it now. Damn, I'd just weaned B off these albums before MJ died, and he was showing some progress, he was hooked on 'Ziggy Stardust'. Now we're back a few steps. But only for a while, I hope. All this too shall pass. I keep repeating that, constantly.

6 comments:

Penthe said...

Busy busy busy. A foot massage is wonderful for assisting with productivity. Much better than losing 3.5% of your income, actually.

Kirsty said...

Oh, I just clicked through from my blog and saw that it says I've linked to this post. Only in a blog roll sort of a way. Have I inadvertently become a spammer? I'll check my settings.

Meanwhile, I've been listening to Off the Wall a lot too. But I promise not to play it if you make it round this way on your Brisbane trip.

Bernice said...

It could be worse... it could be Transformers 2...

fifi said...

I am jealous of your sorting ability...I'd channel my own granny cept she was blind and not so good on the tidying skills....


LOVE the studio...

Adele said...

What am I missing????
A book conference in Brisbane and I haven't been notified ????
Please....when, where???
Adele

Ampersand Duck said...

Kirsty, you're on my To Do list, and so are you, Adele... don't worry, it's not a bookarts conference, it's a get-together of the Bibliographic Society of Australia & NZ (BSANZ) at the uni of Qld, and the topic this year is The Limits of the Book. That's the link to the program, if you are keen; I'm going to meet and listen and do some cold selling of my fine press books...