Pages

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

bogging

I've decided that sometimes the spaces between blog posts are called bogging. They're the times when there is so much to do -- usually for other people -- that I feel guilty about blogging because it means I'm spending time on me and not on them, and they might see the blog and wonder why I'm not doing their job/quality time. What an awful, boggy thought.

I'm re-reading Barbara Hanrahan's diary, and she has lots of awful boggy thoughts, interspersed with such moments of resolve and enthusiasm that I'm glad I'm wading through the boggy bits. I'm also trying to remember to mark down the bits I want to send Thirdcat, because I can see why she wants to have them nearby.

Anyway, that's all I can write at the moment. I'm going to have a big day of running around sorting out things and maybe finishing something, anything, that gives me a sense of crossing something off a list. I'm teaching again this weekend, at Megalo: making boxes. Still spaces left! Plus now I've got six weeks of uni break, which gives me some time to cross off a whole lot of other things from the big list floating in my head. But first I have to write up my assessment report cards... back to it.

8 comments:

fifi said...

My thoughts exactly:
I am resolved, next year, to make much for time for the craft of my art, I seem to spend absolute forever writing, assessing, faffing, painting in between,
in a kind of neurotic state.....

Oh I hate assessng. I so do.

Anonymous said...

momentum is good thing.yes.
but an eye to your true course is also good
b.2 the wire D

Cecilia said...

Hi Ampersand Duck!
I've been reading your blog with delight. Here's some info for you (which you probably already know) - there's a tabletop letterpress currently for sale in Ballarat.
And a question - where does one buy blank photopolymer plates in Australia?

All the best
Cecilia

Ampersand Duck said...

Thanks for letting me know, Cecilia! I just bought one, but it's always good to know there are more around.

Most photopolymer plates that are sold retail in Australia are called Solar plate. Melbourne Etching Supplies sells them, as do other art supply stores, but they will be plate by plate and marked-up prices. If you're looking for bulk, this is the place to do your research. It's also a great site for how to work with polymer plate. I'm not sure how often she updates the info, but it worked for me.

Heather L said...

A box making workshop...sigh! Sounds fabbo- there's just something irresistible about boxes and containers isn't there. Hope it goes well- maybe a workshop possibility for Bega sometime? Heather L xx

Cecilia said...

Heather, there's a fantastic box- making demo on Youtube, if you are getting box-making yearnings and can't get to a workshop!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI9BQJBvedE&feature=related
A. Duck, thanks for the helpful tip! I hope you don't mind me asking but I am a total newbie at bookbinding, and I was just wondering how big I should ask the board supplier to cut boards for my hardcovers, when my book's pages are A5. The supplier sells board in bulk and I want to get it right! Apologies for asking another question!
Cecilia

Ampersand Duck said...

it IS a fantastic box-making video! I was transfigured, and have been scribbling down lots of good tips & tricks...

Cecelia, I must point out that I'm really NOT a professional bookbinder, I have only learned enough formal techniques to make my own work, and when I teach them, I always make it clear that I am only a first or second step along a life's path of learning... or something along those lines, some such caveat!

The size of your boards, even if the textblock is A5, really depends upon your method of binding and the look you want. I.e., how wide will your squares be? (Squares are the distance between the bookblock and the edge of the cover.) How much of a gap between the spine and the edge of the board do you want as a hinge? The bare minimum is 2 board thicknesses, but I have seen great books that have a cm or more gap...

My best advice, really, is to buy one sheet of board and make a dummy copy or maquette or two or three, and make those decisions, and then record the board size. It's really worth it if you're going to buy in bulk.

I hope that helps!

Cecilia said...

Thanks heaps for that, Ampersand! I shall try your suggestion. Trial and error is probably the best way to learn!
Did you note that the box-making video is in several parts... it's easy to spend *hours* in viewing bliss!