Pages

Sunday, March 25, 2007

One love, one nose, let's get together and feel alright

Dateline: 25 March, 1967.

My 21-year-old parents get married and merge noses. It was the last of their body bits to be cojoined, and although you can't see it here, my lovely mother is up the duff. My grandfather gave them 12 months.

one nose original

Forty years later, the Colonel and Lady Duck are still very happy, thank you very much, and still like trying to merge noses: the redbrick look on Colonel Duck somewhat spoils the illusion, but not the loveliness.

one nose revisited

And this time I am behind the camera, not inside the womb. So guess how old I turn this year? Heh. But this is not about me, this is about them, and how wonderful they are. They have been to hell and back in some ways, and still hold hands. They are a wonderful advertisement for having your babies young, and believing in each other. They can niggle, and nag, and get on each other's nerves, but there's never any question about walking out the door in frustration. You just don't do that when you're best friends. It's a hard act to follow, but I'm trying.

So late yesterday we choofed down to their prickle farm and spent today catering for a crowd of friends and family who popped in from 10am onwards to bask in forty years of love; we made pizza after pizza and sliced up all the gorgeous cakes made by Lady Duck and her friends, and served tea and coffee and later oodles of booze. Unfortunately we couldn't stay for the whole day, and no doubt the party is still going as I type. As it should. Forty years of happy marriage is a rarity these days, and they deserve every accolade they get.

Party hard, dudes, and may you be together for many more years to come...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a lovely tribute. I suspect they would also have many proud words to sprout about there much loved baby duck!! I am home again in humid Brissie and already missing the loud roar of your two black, fat, fluffie babies in my ear. Such a warm fuzzy way to start a Sunday.

Ampersand Duck said...

I'm sure they loved having your ear to purr into. Thanks for looking after them!

lucy tartan said...

Beautiful post. Those photographs are gorgeous. What's their secret?

Cozalcoatl said...

Excellent and beautiful. They look very happy.
We just past our 6th (12 together), still got a long way to go together. Yay!

Mindy said...

I hope your Grandfather is somewhere saying 'Well I sure was wrong about that one', and wishing them many more years together. Forty years certainly is quite a record these days.

Val said...

Awwwww, what a lovely pair, and pair of photos. Nice tribute, Ducky.

Anonymous said...

That is very very sweet. Almost the same year my parents got divorced; for that reason, I particularly like photos of people who make it through.

Showing us we are right to be idealistic.

- barista

genevieve said...

Oh, rock on. Clever buggers, I am jealous of anyone who is still friends after all that time. It's a freaking (and precious) miracle.