Pages

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Letterpress: how to get a piece of the action

I have just discovered a place in Sydney that teaches letterpress classes, for all of you who email me asking after such things. I haven't managed to get any classes up at the Bookstud this year, because I'm editioning bigtime and it's hard to reset the press and get my head in the right space. So this is a good opportunity for anyone wanting to play with type... it's the Penrith Museum of Printing, and they look pretty friendly. Next time I'm up that way I'll pop in and have a look.

For Melbournites there also seems to be renewed activity at the Melbourne Museum of Printing.

If you're in Canberra and want to see a big of printing action from arm's length, try the Queanbeyan Printing Museum, usually open on sunday afternoons. For a taster on what they offer, we have a delightful collection of photos taken by moi on a Bookbinders' Guild excursion.





PS: I went to my osteopath yesterday and encountered a young woman I now think of as 'Elbows of Death'. She had the sharpest, hardest, most brutal deep tissue massage technique I have ever, in my twenty-five years of bad back and neck, experienced. When I got home I couldn't focus my eyes; this morning I have a mass of bruising in the area between my shoulder blades and below my neck. It'll settle down over the next few days, but until then I'm a bit stiff.

The fellow that swapped with her late in the massage (she got called out to help with another patient, and I wept with joy) laughed when I used my new nickname. 'That's perfect for her,' he said. 'She hasn't learned "medium" yet. She's still focussed on "hard".' Classic.

4 comments:

M-H said...

Years ago my then girlfriend had a similar massage experience. She told everyone that at that practice, which included osteopaths, homeopaths and naturopaths, this guy was the psychopath.

Kerryn Goldsworthy said...

'Couldn't focus'? 'Mass of bruising'? Jesus, Duckie, are you absolutely sure this is good for you?

Ampersand Duck said...

Heh. The not focussing on fine detail happens quite often after I've had deep tissue massage. It lasts about three hours. The bruising is not so usual... but it does fade eventually ( a lot better today, although still fairly sore. I think I'm going to avoid being allocated to her in the future!

Not as bad as the massager who blistered my back with chinese cups. Zoe witnessed that one.

worldpeace and a speedboat said...

ooh I haven't checked out Penrith's website since I won their 'what obscure bit of equipment is that?' guessing game about 3 years ago. I believe the answer was 'bray' ;-) I wonder what day their classes run?

also, bruising? nonononononooo.