Pages

Friday, July 30, 2010

Fare thee well

OK, I'm pretty much packed and ready to go. I've finished all the little jobs I had to do, and cleaned my studio up so that my friend Nicci can sublet it from me. Now I just have to sort out my daypack, and I'm ready to fly to New Zealand first thing in the morning. My plane leaves at 6:40am, and I don't get to my destination until about 7pm. It's not a huge distance, it's just a lot of sitting around at airports.

Here's my lovely clean studio:

clean studio

And here, just for the halibut, is the picture that inspired my working name:

&Ducks

It's a flock of flying ampersand ducks, printed in the year 2000 for an entry in the Noma Concours Illustration prize. I made a series of prints that made scenes and animals from wood and metal type. It was a proposal for a children's book, aimed at 3-4 year olds. It got an encouragement award, but it's never been published.

So, unless I get very bored at the airport tomorrow, next time I write I should be in New Zealand, learning how to compress my vowels.

See you in the soup!

12 comments:

ronnie said...

6.40 from canberra you say? - I'll synchronise my watch and give you a wave as you fly over our place a little while later (make sure you're looking down!)

and I'm mightily impressed by the state of your studio - you sure you don't want to do a stop over and spruce my place up on the way?

no?

oh ok - have fun - try not to tease the kiwis about their funny accents

Anonymous said...

I have a new rude expletive; "flocking ampersands!!!" Say it with sufficient spite and it beats a mere "oh,fuck" hands down.

And, Ronnie, we don't have funny eccints.Do we?

Dinah from Idlethoughts

Sara Bowen said...

When you get back you may find BookArtObject has invaded your studio and is repelling boarders. Looks magnificent - lucky subletter, I say! Huv fun un NZ, Sara (or should that be Sira?)x

Bernice said...

If the polls keep going as they are, you are our forward scouting party. We will load the boats and launch August 28th - send news of landing beaches. They wont send us to Nauru will they?

Carol said...

Who'd have thought you could get such personality in a flock of ampersand ducks! Absolutely charming & I'd love to see your other prints in that series. Have a great time in NZ. Like Bernice, I think I'll be ready to bail out of here if the polls don't improve.

GS said...

Am looking forward to your Dunedin posts. The trick to the lingo is "the grunt vowel technique", am sure you'll get the hang of it after being ribbed repeatedly for being an Orrstraylean.

Hope you have a blast.

Helen said...

MINT!!!!!
(Pronounced MUNT!!!!)
Have a wonderful time in NZ - I'm so jealous.

Alexis, Baron von Harlot said...

Thus us sue neat, brew. Hev a lovely time.

Alexis, Baron von Harlot said...

(I think of that as accent appreciation, rather than accent mockery, but if any of your new Dunny-din friends think it smacks of mock, then I'll stop immediately.)

Alexis, Baron von Harlot said...

p.s. even though fur seals look like wonderful fat legless dogs, they don't respond well to attempts at patting.

Alexis, Baron von Harlot said...

(which might sound like a non sequitur of unprecedented non-sequituriality, but is in fact sage travel advice, New Zealand famously being covered, like, practically upholstered, in cute fur seals with bad breath and big teeth.)

Jeremy Moore said...

I hope the book is published one day because We have a copy of the original manuscript. We are thinking of having some prints made to frame and hang (with the artists permission of course).