Pages

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Orange from Greens

My studio is cool. Not in the 'oh wow, amazing' sense (I'm working on that), but in
the ten-degrees-cooler-than-outside sense.

It has a tin roof. Right now it is raining, hard, and I am transported back to... Just back, somewhere where there are tin roofs. The sound is fantastic.

I am playing Machine Translations, which is my rainy-day studio music, always has been. They've got the right sense of atmosphere.



I hope that photo turns out. It shows the only nice corner set up with all the things that will allow me to work until I get more shelving and move in the press paraphanalia.

Today I went looking for bookcases and shelving. I went up to my local Salvos on the way to Aussie Junk (looking for a teapot, but there's a DEARTH of them in Canberra op shops. I may -- gasp -- have to buy a new one) and intercepted two people with a trailer full of stuff trying to offload it to the reluctant shop assistants. They had a couple of bookshelves, and I asked if I could buy them directly from them -- or should I wait & see if the shop would take them? Turns out that they were jolly people from the Greens doing an office clean-out, and since the Salvos were looking harried, why not?

We ended up with them following me back to the studio and they helped me move the bookcases into the space, plus they threw in a couple of whiteboards. I gave them a donation to the Party in return, and I think we were all pretty happy. I heart The Greens.

One of the bookcases is wildly eccentric: hot orange, a bookcase on one side and a display case on the other! I think I'll slap a rough coat of lighter paint on it to knock it back a bit, then use it as a divider to hold all my poetry on one side and show off a bit of making on the other for anyone that peeps in the window at gallery openings.









Ooh, thunder! What a great day. Not for poor BB, though, who is home feeling miserabubble from a spider bite incurred whilst helping me move shite from the garage. Poor bugger. Still, the beauty of this studio is that it's less than one pop song's ride from the house. And with Bumblebee away, I can play for hours. And I will!

-- Post From My iPhone

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Right - will pack apron, brush and takeaway containers for a spot of late night painting tomorrow?

genevieve said...

I heart that wacky bookshelf. And your iPhone.

M-H said...

How wonderful for you. And score with those bookshelves. Enjoy!

Mummy/Crit said...

Also loving the rain here, and your ORANGE bookshelf. i thought the other day that 'orangeitude was a good word (pronounced: orANGEitude) and your bookshelf has it in spades. Glad to hear you're home and settling in. Poor BB with his spider bite. Ouch.

Anonymous said...

I thought I'd find you here

lucy tartan said...

Well it looks 'oh wow amazing' cool to me. So great to have your own space.

Unknown said...

Duckie
Lots of tea pots at 'Down Memoy Lane' in Fyshwick.
Droo

Ampersand Duck said...

Nah, Bernice, I'd rather be cracking open a coldie by that time of day! But you can come and admire it...

Thanks, Droo, I'll be over that way later in the week.

Heh, Nicci, never far from here.

Anonymous said...

Pretty much everything you could possibly need, and rain to boot.

Penthe said...

Poor spider man. Hope he does not end up with irritating super powers. Although it could be helpful while moving book cases from diverse locations around Canberra.

Glad to hear the studio is taking shape nicely from corner to corner.

Word verification is 'mister' in recognition of self-sacrificing spider victim.

Unknown said...

Looks fabbo, and lived in already!! Serious score with that bookshelf - gotta love that. We'll have to splash some champers around and bless the joint real soon...

Poppy Letterpress said...

Lovin' the new digs so far. Can't wait to see more pics.

I was printing during that storm, and my big steel shed makes the rain SO. LOUD. It was glorious.

girlprinter said...

Looking good!