Pages

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

The Woodford Chronicles 06/07 (4)

We made it out alive this morning, dusty, sunstruck and tired. It's been a big week. There's lots more to tell, but I'll do that over the next few days or weeks, depending on how fast I regain my energy, and how often I can get to a computer. We've still got two weeks of (very different) holiday.

I had a small disaster two days ago when I dropped my camera and thought it irreparably broken (SOB), only to discover this morning that it just needed a day to rest and recuperate and may yet limp home to snap another million pictures (HOORAY!). So I didn't take photos of the fire ceremony, nor of other choice oddities of the dying moments of the festival.

But. Now that I am out of the site, and showered, and fed greasy hot chips with loads of salt, I can finally label my two YouTube videos properly and share them with you. I'd hastily uploaded them but couldn't see what they were in the short time I had in the internerd cafe, and the buggery computer wouldn't give my a thumbnail of the contents, so I'd quickly written anything on their labels and set them free in the ether. Of course, I'd written totally the wrong labels!

Anyhoo, here is Peter Garrett, visiting the Festival Breakfast show. He was talking politics, and the shifts he'd made in his life within the public sphere, and then of course when questions were allowed the first person with their hand up asked him to sing. Every protest he made was answered with a solution -- a young man in the front few rows could play the chorus to Beds are Burning, and thus this video came to be. Apoloogies for the angle of vision -- you have to stack a spot in the venue at least 90 minutes before the start of the show, so Best Beloved would head out of the tent at Dawn's crack and read the papers at the side of the stage, where he could stretch out and get a good view. So I spent the week look ing at Martin's hair. And there's a lot of it.



The next clip is from Me and Mr Brown, and I've included it mainly for Mummy Crit, who is a fellow Baterz fan. It's only a snippet, but enough to make me all gooey.



Ahh... Totally Gourdgeous and Baterz, what a winning combination.

I've got other videos, stories and photos, but I'll put them up later. Time for a recovery G&T!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

7 comments:

lucy tartan said...

Happy New Year to you too, feathered and inky friend.

genevieve said...

Lovely videos! Thanks. Looks like you had a grand time.

Anonymous said...

Your woodford posts have been a bit 'Camp Grenada'. It all sounds like great fun, happy new year.

Kerryn Goldsworthy said...

This Baterz of whom you speak: is he the Adelaide Baterz, tragically no longer with us, who wrote a song about an Adelaide heatwave called 'Target's Air-Conditioning'?

If it's the same one, I saw a rather sweet musical/dramatic tribute thingy about him at the last Adelaide Fringe. Baterz himself was played by someone billed as Derek the Nice.

There can't possibly be two, can there?

Mummy/Crit said...

PC- that is the one. I like the idea of a tribute to him at the fringe. I've lost track of the Adelaide crowd now that I don't go there to visit him. We were awkward teenagers together. I can't think who Derek is... A big thank you to Duck for the YouTube-ness, though I haven't watched it yet, but I will in a quiet moment. I'm glad you're having a good time in the north.

Mummy/Crit said...

I did warchi it, and it is fabulous. Did I ever give you a copy of Bat's live album?

Fluffy said...

baterz! i was a huge bedridden fan in the day.