Pages

Saturday, September 04, 2010

The earth moved for me

I woke at 4.30 this morning with the bed moving as if I were very, very drunk. I had been to the pub the night before, and I had consumed a fair bit of cider, but not enough to give me bed-spins. Then I noticed the wardrobe swaying, and I realised that I was experiencing an earthquake. Just a wee one, although it was a bit scary.

This morning the town is abuzz and Christchurch is trashed. On the day that Best Beloved and Bumblebee are flying to it. Oh crap.

They haven't left home yet, and they haven't heard if their flight is cancelled. They won't until later in the day, because Christchurch Airport have only cancelled flights until midday until further notice. Still, CRAP.

All I can do is wait. And same for them. I hope Christchurch will be ok, too. It's a bit too much excitement for this duck.

4 comments:

Penthe said...

Glad you are OK, and I'm sure the New Zealanders will figure out a way for you to be safely united with your beloveds soon.

Poor Christchurch.

tigtog said...

Ducky! So glad that it was just a shakeabout rather than anything worse.

Good luck with getting the family reunited ASAP.

Ampersand Duck said...

Well, with any luck they'll be rerouted to Dunedin, which has a very under-utilised international airport. But we'll have to renegotiate the hire-car, crap.

Anyhoo, thanks for well-wishes!

GS said...

Even with the airport open I'd be getting the heck out of that town asap. Aftershocks can be killers and a quake of this size could rumble for days, turning ok looking but structurally weakened structures collapse with a little shake. Honestly, earthquake tourism isn't all its cracked up to be :)