Pages

Thursday, April 08, 2010

Mackay [2]

Yay, my dongle is dongling! I am an independent websurfer, free from the restraint of overpriced timing... and yay for salt & vinegar Samboy chips and a tonic water, the essence of kicking back in north Queensland. It would be something alcoholic if I were drinking at the moment.

Of course, the first day of the workshop went well, in my usual let's-wing-it style: throw ideas and choices at them, watch them reel while they have a quick cuppa, and then let them loose at a heap of materials and coax them all to make something they've never tried before.

I'm happy if each student can have a Eureka moment once in the two days of the workshop, and I got at least four today, so I have to try harder to get the rest happening tomorrow.

The exhibition for the Libris Award is being hung today and tomorrow, and it looks AMAZING. Jam packed with interesting work by interesting people. I will do my best with my crappy iPhone camera to capture some of it at the opening tomorrow night.

The poor director of Artspace Mackay keeps inviting me out to dinner with the rest of the crew and I keep making excuses. Last night I wanted to write (and wrangle the donger, fnar fnar), and tonight I'm just aching to sit quietly in a very unintellectual movie. So I'm off to see Date Night. Tomorrow I'll start to be sociable, but I've been talking all day, and I need to rest the vocal chords... well, that's my excuse, anyhoo...

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Wow! I'm very impressed with how coolly you are taking this all in your stride. Must be the confidence a dongle gives a girl (Fnar! Fnar!)
Great to hear it's going so well. I was really hoping to make it to the Masterclass with you, but my head (ie migraines) had other ideas. Maybe I can make it to Canberra instead.
Anyway , I just wanted to let you know there is a little something for you in my latest blog post. If you're not into these things, that's fine - I won't take it personally!
Have a terrific time for the rest of your stay, and keep blogging so we can see what you are up to!
Best Wishes,
Amanda

Ampersand Duck said...

I'm very sorry you didn't make it, it's a lovely class. Hope the head is improving! And thanks for the Happiness Award, it's a lovely thing. I'm enjoying the group as well... I just have to finish my book to feel fully part of it!