Pages

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Getting to somewhere nice

When the art school is all cleaned up at the end of each year, students leave stuff behind. Sometimes it's confusingly useful stuff, sometimes absolutely useless. One year, a girl left behind a whole box of simple art materials: textas, ink pads, stamps, the sort of thing you'd leave behind when you're returning home by plane a very long distance.

I took home one of the stamps because I didn't understand why it had been bought in the first place. It's very twee, very odd, and very un-PC, using as it does a gollywog straight from the archives of Enid Blyton. I thought maybe I could use it somehow, some day.

Well, I decided to make it a kind of Xmas card for 2009:



Not too jolly, but (I hope) you know what I mean. The proper message is here: I hope everyone out there enjoys being home for Xmas, or at least gets the chance to go to a safe place that will look after them. And even if it's not Xmas for everyone, I hope the suppos-ed Xmas spirit pervades all the glum & sticky corners of our nation.*

We're off up north today, en route to the Woodford Folk Festival (all starting on Boxing Day), and I'm sure I'll keep in touch via iPhone and various loaned computers, although I won't be able to cruise the neighbourhood much...

So have a lovely whatever you want it to be. See you properly in the New Year!




*For any overseas readers: this is a very Australian message, and relates to our way of dealing with international visitors. Just google "Christmas Island" if you want to find out more...

6 comments:

genevieve said...

That's pretty much it in a nutshell, that card. Thanks, Duck and best wishes to you all for the hols.

dinahmow said...

Duck, you made me almost choke on my lunch! Right on the nail. Thanks and have good whatever, yourself.

Shelley said...

That is great. I wish you were selling those.

Mummy/Crit said...

That card is fantastic! Have a lovely time at Woofo. I know a bunch of people going up this year (as I always do, I guess). Tslk to you when you get back!

Heather L said...

Gotta print this one out...
Have fun at Woodford- pity you have to work there as well though :-(
Heather L xxx
'may the music be hot and the weather be cool for you'

Meredith said...

Dear @D,
just got to this, but what a lovely card. I want to write "you should sell them next year" but I hope they won't be relevant by then. Very happy happy 2010 to you.