Pages

Thursday, May 28, 2009

MMOPping up*



Looks like the fundraiser for the Melbourne Museum of Printing went well... I hope it made enough dosh to keep it running.

I must confess that I've always been a bit reticent about the Museum, ever since I visited it years ago and all I saw was masses of hoarded machinery, no sensible plan to do anything with it and a brief meeting with the very depressed and increasingly unsolvent owner who left me feeling that if I got involved, it would have to be a VERY big involvement (and I wasn't in any position, at the time, to do so).

But it seems that Melbourne has embraced the concept, and the increased yearning of graphic designers to get their hands dirty off-screen is paying off, so maybe there's hope for the Museum after all. Which is a VERY GOOD THING INDEED. There is a future for Australian letterpress!

The new generation of Keen have also started a blog for the museum, and the first batch of posts includes an excellent overview of how they came up with the Museum's new logo.


Myself, I am planning a huge de-rusting weekend or two and then an open studio afternoon in early July. I don't think my gear will be fully operational by then, but I'd like to 'launch' my space sooner rather than later; if I don't do it then, I won't have a chance till way later in the year, and that's a bit ridiculous. So if you'd like to come and have a glass of bubbly with me and my presses, pencil the 4th of July in: Studio Duck Independence Day! [POSTSCRIPT: now 1 August!]




*a blog post title that at present is impossible for Pav's Cat.

1 comment:

Poppy Letterpress said...

Yes, definitely have an open studio day sooner rather than later. I still haven't had mine, and it was planned for end of January!

If I'm out of the blog loop before that date, can you email me a reminder? I'd hate to miss it just because I'm not surfing the blogs as much.