Pages

Monday, July 14, 2008

None of these things are related

but all of them cause happiness.

1. Earworm of the fortnight has been The Captain & Tennielle's 'Love will keep us together', so much so that I was compelled to download it from the iTunes Shop and learn the lyrics whilst lying in my boarding school dorm in Mittagong last week. I've now moved past the lyrics (which are great for bellowing in the shower) and am listening keenly to the background harmonies, some of which have Carpenter-like qualities and others are just darn fruity.

2. Browsing in a bookshop on Saturday, I was thinking that I'll be in another reading lull once I've finished my latest book (Diana Wynne-Jones' The Pinhoe Egg), and wondering if there was an author out there in whose writing I can submerse myself for a while, you know, read everything in their backlist. I found a book that I'd read a review about that day: Kate Cole-Adams' Walking to the Moon, and noticed it was published by Text. I didn't buy it then (I'll go to my local Co-op bookshop and get my member's discount) but I realised that I've read a lot of Text books and they've all been fabulous. So I made a decision there and then that over the next 12 months or so I'll catch up on the Text backlist. And that decision makes me very happy and excited.

3. This fabulous piece of video by artist Ellis Hutch:



4. And printing. My ink is behaving itself today. That makes me very happy.


I'm still getting my Sturt photos together. Not long now.

3 comments:

Martha said...

See if you can get your hands on a copy of _Crossing To Safety_ by Wallace Stegner. I doubt it's published in Australia, so it may take a while, but put it on your list -- I have a feeling you'd like it.

Ampersand Duck said...

Ooh, thanks for the suggestion! Will do.

worldpeace and a speedboat said...

huh - Captain and Tennille! I've been singing that song forever but never bothered to know who sang it. just googled them myself - The Captain's real name is Daryl Dragon. heh.

this and "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" are definitely two of my favourite 'bouncing round the house being cheeful and mindless' songs. I enjoy those harmonies too.

better go and google Kiki Dee now.