Pages

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

My number just came up

As I explained to Pavlov's Cat the other day, a lot of my student art school work revolved around things being lost and found, or rediscovered, and a major preoccupation was my theory that we are heading into a dark age of technology. Not in the sense that it will be used for evil (although it may), but in the sense that we are losing 'real' data and relying more and more on virtual data, and future generations may well look at these mammoth floppy disks/huge reels of tape/bizarre silver disks and wonder what all the fuss was about, not able to read a thing, and all our wonderful knowledge and ponderings will be worse than cuniform.

And then I started a blog, and found myself sending my life out into blogosphere and beyond, and not keeping any records for myself. Ironic, isn't it? Since I've been blogging, I've written very little in my longhand journal except for lists of eccentric baby names on the weekends (and that's only because I can't be bothered getting out of bed to turn on the computer).

Only last week I woke up in the night and fretted gently about whether I'd be able to download 18 months of all this guff, and if so, how to keep it? On disk? Hah. As a book? I'd just never get around to it. Fret fret, zzzzzzzzzzzz.

Well, I'm gobsmacked to be informed (or requested, but who could refuse?) that the National Library is now archiving my blog. The nice people there have assured me that
the Library will take the necessary preservation action to keep your
publication accessible as hardware and software changes over time.

Gosh. I'm honoured. I never win lotteries. And now I can sleep deeply. And I love the fact that the NLA Web Archive is called PANDORA, because you know what was in the box she opened. Heh... I'm now one of those things ;)

Thanks, NLA!

No comments: