Pages

Monday, February 04, 2013

Test patterns

OK, so bear with me here.

I'm testing out this basic blog template, but I don't think the Title font transfers easily between users, despite the promises of the developer. Can you see them as a bold, sans-serif, almost wood-type kind of look?
I like the simplicity, not sure about the spacings, but it's lovely and flexible -- I despise overly long line lengths onscreen when the main point is comfortable reading -- so that you can adjust the width of your browser window and set your own comfort zone. The biggest yuck for me is the narrowness of the gutter between the posts and the side bar, but if I widen the window, the text gets too long. *sigh*

Thoughts, anyone? I may change a few times before I'm happy, but this is pretty close to what I like.

7 comments:

Paper Chipmunk (aka Ellen) said...

It's a bold sans-serif type on my end (on a Mac). I'm not sure it obviously says letterpress to me, though? Maybe if I know that's what you have in mind.

Trying to set up a new blog design is so... challenging. I never like the way gutters look or any of that (speaking of my own experience here). On the other hand, a fresh start sounds kind of enjoyable. I'm glad you've decided to come back to this one, rather than move.

Ampersand Duck said...

Thanks for that! Yes, not really trying to say 'letterpress' so much, just couldn't be bothered spending HOURS building a template from the ground up. It already took me way longer than I wanted to wade through endless awful blog templates.

Paper Chipmunk (aka Ellen) said...

My sympathies. I spent hours... and hours... wading through atrocious templates and doing the setup when I moved mine from Blogger. At one point in the thick of it, I was told I looked crazed and despondent. Which was just about how I felt.

Ampersand Duck said...

Oh yes, I know that look. I save that energy for my website! Haven't even done much there for a while either...

ronnie said...

I'm a control freak and aesthetics nazi when it comes to my own blog/web/washing-arrangement-on-the-line but never presume to tell others what to do -- but I'm also very shallow so I do tend to judge a maker by their webby bits (so judgmental of me, so non-PC ... I know - shoot me) and I'm also really lazy - so I'd never bother altering my browser window - however the blog appeared when I landed there is how it would stay....

Cat Drawings said...

Very wide. Not necessarily legible in the way the old one was. But the content is marvellous, of course.

birdmonkey said...

HI The titles are coming out as bolf sans serif. I like the look and the wide text. does sometimes make a paragraph look like only two lines. But the wide look does seem to be the standard for websites now so many good to make the change. I like the new profile pic too. bTW the proove your not a robot picture are getting harder. Took me a while to realise there was number on the photo. I had a dyslexics fear that it was a word puzzle- FAIL!